Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Participatory Culture in a Networked Era and Vlogging


     Chapters two and three of Jenkins, Ito, and Boyd's book, Participatory Culture in a Networked Era, are about youth culture and their participation in this "participatory culture" and also about the assumptions that we make about that participation.
     We, as a whole, sometimes pass judgement about younger generations, the "digital natives". The authors point out that these young people are often lumped together into a generational category and that adults often fail to see the diversity of youth practices. Chapter two mentions "the need to unpack what people think about youth and technology versus what we are able to see through our research".
     In terms of the social and cultural makeup of the people that participate, there is so much more diversity than one might assume. Three genres are cited in chapter three: entertainment, academic, and construction.
     The section on entertainment used examples that I remember: SimCity, Math Blaster, Carmen Sandiego, and Oregon Trail. I remember playing all of these on my grandma's computer!

(Sorry everyone! I didn't get to finish my blog this week. My dog Tater had emergency surgery last Thursday night and we just got him home yesterday! This is as far as I got with the blogging...)

No comments:

Post a Comment